Sunday 14 October 2012

Surma and Mursi Head-pieces. . .WOW!

These are some images I found when I looked more into Hans Sylvester's work. I collected and collaged the images which I am going to do throughout my blog as I feel it will look better and polished when my blog is finally published.

With these images, I find the Surma and Mursi tribes fascinating as unlike most aboriginal tribes where they decorate the body with different paints and accessories to celebrate their culture and beliefs, these tribes use dried flowers and fruit to create these amazing, hand-made head pieces which just blow my mind. Out of my primary research which I have done so far, I find these tribes as my biggest inspiration, and the aspect of a head/neck piece is something which I am definitely considering to include in my final shoots. Eary stages I know, but I feel I could really show my artistic side within this project as I am Fine Art/Textiles based and have been studying art for the last 7 years, so getting arty farty is something which I am looking forward to !!


This was a video I found on Youtube, and this has helped me a great deal as it has given me a better insite on the way the Mursi people live. One thing i found interesting was at 2.26 minutes when one of the tribe members emerges out of his hut, presumably at the beginning of his day, and starts applying his body paint naturally without a mirror or any guidance. This is a technique which I think I might expand upon, the body paint but to apply it with my fingers and quite roughly.






No comments:

Post a Comment