Wednesday 17 October 2012

Wodaabe Tribe Men. . .COLOUR!

BRIGHT. . .BOLD. . .and. . .FIERCE!

3 words how I would describe to men of the Wodaabe. The Wodaabe or Bororo are a small subgroup of the Fulani ethnic group. They are traditionally nomadic cattle-herders and traders in the Sahel, with migrations stretching from southern Niger, through northern Nigeria, northeastern Cameroon, and the western region of the Central African Republic. 

Unlike the Mursi and Benin tribes, where i focused my research on the process of scarification and what the ritual means towards these tribes, the main thing that stands out from the Wodaabe, is the expression of bold, eye-catching colour and the use of accessories for the body to express their beliefs and culture. 
One thing which I am going to focus on, especially for my editioral shoot, is to concentrate on my models facial expressions. As my research especially the Wodaabe, they hardly just stand still and let someone take their pictures so before my final shoots I am thinking of perhaps organising a practising session wth my models, to explain the look I am trying to create so they fully understand what I want the end result to look like.
This is the front cover of the 'DAZED' magazine which had Bjork on the front cover for their 200th issue. From the collection of images during this article, looking into Bjork's fashion over the years of her career, I found the images to have some references to tribal fashion.

The colours in these images relate to the Wodaabe men due to a similar scheme so with these being from an editorial shoot, this has giving me ideas into how I could potentially edit my images after my initial shoot. The way the colours work with the outfit and over taking the surroundings is a quality which I shall take into consider.






No comments:

Post a Comment