Monday 12 November 2012

Make-Up Talk.....

When I think of tribal make-up, I think of the traditional war-paint like marks across the cheeks and down the nose/forward which normally represents which tribe you are from or what you stand for, similar to scarification. But as I am trying to create 2 different  signature looks I aim to try and push the boundaries or maybe use similar techniques but in reverse to achieve this.
I found this image on a pinterest page and alhtough im not sure whether it is meant to be under the name of 'tribal', I was drawn to this due to the fact I thought about the similar lines and directions which tribal makeup usually is, but in reverse. This is something that I think I will experiment with on myself to try and create a similar effect. As the project is to create 2 looks, 1 for catwalk and 1 for editorial, if I am to continue on with this look I think this would look best for my catwalk look.
As well as reverse marks, I found this image on 'Instagram' and the main thing I love about it is the simplicity of the makeup, although the image as a whole seems allot more complicating and a lot more going on due to the heavily tattooed male model who's arms are around the girl. But when you take the male model away and look more in depth at the girl model, the look is so simply yet so effective, I LOVE it !! With something like this, this is a prime example of taking the whole look into consideration as the classicality is key with a look like this. I feel this would be a good look to push forward and would work very well for my catwalk shoot as the hair would be key for this look.
From researching different makeup artists Facebook pages and the Internet, something which I have picked up on and which I think works well is decorative patterns and relevant designs onto the face instead of the standard make-up look. I think I shall do a few face charts and designs to create a few looks which include the different patterns together to create something more unique and that'll stand out.
This image I found on Google which is interesting as the collaboration of different designs and techniques results in a fascinating end result including different types of media. Tribal tattoo designs which is something that I have researching into is something that I would like to expand upon. The symmetry is a factor which I think would work well, from this I shall start designing.


One thing I think will work well together for my shoot is the combination of using dark shades to contour the face and emphasize the cheek bones. From the tribes which I have looked into, many of the woman are quite masculine, with prominent jawlines and cheekbones and also walking around with no tops on, like many of the men in tribes. This got me thinking about how I could incorporate the two genders but to focus it onto my female models. To achieve this I think I shall practice my skills by contouring the face and keeping this as the key aspect of my look. To emphasize this I think I shall stick to one feature of the face and make this the focus point of the overall final image.
From researching different tribes and scenes also, I have picked up the fact that spots are included quite often. Probably means different things to different tribes and colours and what not, but I think they create interesting patterns and could do all sorts with this concept.
In class during one of our practical seminars, we looked into how to create the same/similar effect of scarification. Considering how brutal the original process is, our imitation was quite simple. A combination of liquid latex, beans, rice and peas ended in an interesting result, which we then painted on top of. Something I thought was different in a good way was after we completed the task, when I started removing the beans and peas of my models arm...........the effect in which it left I thought was brilliant!!! It reminded me of crocodiles skin which refers back to scarification. Instead of keeping the peas on, I think for my final shoot if I am to use this technique I shall remove the peas and keep that as the end result. 
Once we learnt the basics of applying, we then experimented with colour to see what different effects would come out from applying colour in different ways. I worked with a girl called Freya in my group and she used my arm to practise on. Once applied, she used different shades from her Super Colour palette and then after added glitter to see how the end effect would work out.
Contouring will be key with my catwalk look as well, so from a distance, to imagine the position of where the photographers will be, although my shoot will be in a studio, I have to think practically and imagine my model to be walking down a catwalk so my end result must be able to move fluently with no hesitations. 
This is a picture from my practice shoot of one of my initial ideas for my catwalk look. I concentrated on the contouring to see how the skin and bone structure would come out under the light. As well as taking images on my phone throughout the process, I took my model into the studio and took some pictures under the proper lights to see how the colors would come out. I realized that to achieve the look i wish to at the end, I must apply not only more of the products, but include some darker shades and tones as when my model was sat in front of the professional lighting, the flash of the camera took out the majority of the colors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment