Wednesday 16 January 2013

Katy Perry - Extraterrestrial Music Video

Katy Perry - Extraterrestrial Music Video

Personally, I cannot STAND Katy Perry’s poor excuse of music, she can’t sing, she just speaks and shouts the words. But putting my hatred for her aside, I LOVE her style so it all evens out in the end. Especially the music video for her song ‘Extra-terrestrial’ as it oozes of artistic flare and has such a unique and different spin on the outer space look which has been re-enacted so many times over the years. Towards the end of the video, where Perry kisses the male in the video to turn him from robot to alien (I think?!), and the way her hair has been styled, with many plaits and braids, I found this quite influential as I found there was quite a few tribal references.

 Throughout the video, Perry wears heavy cosmetics and extravagant outfits, including blue and pink make-up, cat- and reptile-like eyes, and Medusa-esque braids. Her looks have been compared to "detailed, outlandish, and semi-gorgeous rainbow-kabuki".


The use of contouring in this music video as well is exceptional and as this is something that I wanted to focus on for both my editorial and catwalk shoots, I found this video inspirational as it gave me good ideas and expanded my horizons when it came to the final looks. With all of the looks throughout the video, different colours, tones and shades, the contouring really defines the shape of Perry’s face, not just to define the cheekbones. The detail around the eyes and shading along the nose connecting to the brows is something which is key in my looks so the precision is helpful to look at, working similar as a guideline for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment